Tuesday, June 1, 2010

That Was The Week That Was

Last week, I spent a magical three days with David, Megan and Willem, enjoying the time to hold him and to watch him yawn, smile, stretch, grimace and vibrate with the full-body hiccups.  Luckily, I didn't have to cut his nails (Megan uses a baby nail file from a cool little baby dopp kit.)  I did, however, serve as her accomplice in giving Willem his first sponge bath and I sure hope he doesn't hold it against me.

When I got home from my Nana adventures late Thursday night, I was faced with a to-do list the length of  "War and Peace."  I did make time to set up Skype so we can see and talk to Willem live through the computer.  The possibilities are endless and we expect to get his take on the situation in North Korea soon.  One of Paul's patients told me about a friend in Cincinnati who, like us, has a son, daughter-in-law and infant grandson in New York.  Recently, the son, a firefighter, was home alone with the baby.  He called up Grandma, said
he needed time for a shower and asked her to do some remote babysitting.  The baby, in his infant seat, was positioned  in front of the camera when Grandma asked what she should do if the baby needed immediate attention.   Dad replied, "Just yell - I'll hear you."  Couldn't be easier.

Our busy three-day weekend featured highs like a visit from John, bike rides and golf and lows like an unexpected guest appearance by Ron, the Roto-Rooter Man at our Saturday night cook-out.  (Ron chose the bratwurst over the metts and passed on the sauteed onions and peppers.)  Tuesday morning, after seeing John off for Nashville and firing a shot of ant-powder at the colony boiling up from below our front porch, I played office all day long.  As a substitute for Paul's Office Manager, I answered phones, scheduled appointments, filed charts, met and greeted patients, ordered office carpeting, reviewed a new credit card processing sytem and managed to sneak in a few games of Spider Solitaire.

The point of all this is to explain why I didn't have a regular Monday post this week.  Maybe I should have said the dog ate my post or at least chewed up my keyboard; but those who have read my March post, "Going to the Dogs," would never believe that.  I'm throwing in some of David and Megan's latest Willem photos as a peace offering and I plan to be back next Monday.

No comments: